April 24, 2011

Bicycles and Bikram

Yet another cloudless day - just unbelievable.  I don't know which goat it was that I slaughtered but I wish I had a few more of them.

So today we went to Haarlem central station and got bikes.  They were the usual sit-up-and-beg type with just three gears but it felt very authentic although I copped out of the back brake sort - that would just have me gliding into traffic and panicking.  The kids got bikes too and it was really cheap.

We packed a lunch and off we went towards Zandvoort.  We quickly exited the city and ended up in a park area - lots of trees and greenery and then rolling sand dunes.  We didn't got that far, the kids running out of puff, but it was a great ride and quite a lot of other people were doing the same thing.  It felt really great!

After a late lunch, Annamaria and I scooted back to Hanna's apt and we got ready to go for some Bikram Yoga!  I am not generally a Yoga bunny, I find it quite slow and boring, but Annamaria's a real fan of Bikram Yoga and her enthusiasm made me curious about the class.

It was incredibly hot in the class and I thought "Uh-oh" I'm going to faint from the heat... but it wasn't long before I got used to the heat.  The class was good and I think I stretched parts of my body that haven't really seen much action for a long time.  When it got round to the balancing poses, I had another "Uh-Oh" moment and just tried to focus on the lady in front of me.  Of course, when she lost her balance, I ended up falling over...  Funny thing is that I have better balance on my left foot than my right.  Why is that?  I am after all right handed - so shouldn't I be right-footed too?

I managed to do the whole class without stopping or giving up and was quite proud of myself.  It felt I just had a facial afterwards too.  I'm still feeling lithe and relaxed and let's hope I can get a proper night's sleep tonight. So far, I've been kicked out of the bed twice.... damn kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment