April 22, 2011

Taking the overnight flight to anywhere

BY JET:

Most of the time that I travel I do it overnight.  It comes from some sense of efficiency -  the idea that I can save a hotel room fee and eliminate a wasted night by travelling and thus getting more out of a journey / holiday.  Now that I'm flying more than taking overnight trains with couchettes (that do allow you to lay out and sleep), the overnight plane ride can be more debilitating than useful.

Most transatlantic flights are overnight so this time flying with the kids it wasn't an option to go during the day.  We flew over to Amsterdam on KLM and I was worried about how the kids would handle it.  They handled it just fine!  Toby slept from the moment he has his seat belt on and Tiggy dropped off somewhere during take-off.    It helps that they're smaller than the seats.  For me, the challenge was how to get as much sleep as possible during this flight.

I have finally learnt to wear as many layers as possible.  No matter how warm the country you're going to or from, the plane ride is always cold.  If I'm flying solo I try to get a window seat to get a tiny bit more space to spread myself around - if nothing else putting my feet up on the space between the seat in front of me and the space between it and the plane body can be a godsend.   This time however, I had kids on both sides of me.

The seat wasn't bad and technically I had enough space, but I don't sleep like a board nor in a compressed fetal position and just keep thinking there's got to be a better way to sleep on a plane.   When  I get an empty space next to me, I've discovered using the tray table as a ledge to put my feet up, but you end up twisting yourself around and all the weight of your body goes to your lower back and hip bones - ouch!

Until airlines come up with a better design to accommodate the overnight traveler, here are a few things I found on the internet :

Homeless by Choice
Sleeping-positions-on-planes
Fantasy Airplanes
futuristic-airline-seat-unveiled

No comments:

Post a Comment